Supporting Live Connect in non-Safari browsers
"2004 Nov 24. (posted by Timothy Driscoll)"
(2005 Dec 20: See note about Flock browser below)
Mozilla browsers on OSX (including Firefox) use their own JVM - which does not support Live Connect. they need to use the Apple JVM instead, in order to have a functioning Live Connect and pass the browser check in Jmol.js.
Fortunately, there is a way to tell non-Safari browsers to use the Apple JVM. I have tested it in Mozilla and Firefox, and it works (OSX 10.3.6). Here are the configuration details:
- Launch Mozilla and visit http://waterontheweb.org/data/java/trouble.html to verify your Java version. This page contains a small applet that reports the JVM details. it will probably say something like version 1.3.1.
- Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/javaplugin/ and click the Download link. Choose JavaEmbeddingPlugin0.8.7.zip, and select a mirror site. When the package is finished downloading, unzip it and open the folder.
- Open the Binaries folder therein to see two files: JavaEmbeddingPlugin.bundle and MRJPlugin.plugin.
- Copy these two files to /Library/Internet Plugins.
- Launch Mozilla again. It should now be using the Apple JVM. To verify, go back to the url in step 1. it should report something like this:
|OS||Mac OS X|
|Java vendor||Apple Computer, Inc.|
- you can test Jmol here http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/.
A Mozilla Variant That Works
I started using the Flock browser a few weeks ago; it's derived from Firefox and has some interesting blogging and community-bookmark features that aren't germane here. But imagine my surprise when I happened to point my Mac Flock browser at our Jmol-enabled site and saw the molecules displaying properly! Some invisibly-updated Java bugfix? Nope, Firefox itself is still broken. But Flock 0.4.10 works, on OS 10.4.3.