This subcommunity of for Jmol users that use Jmol for display and analysis of crystal structures.
Tips from Users
This section is where you can add tips on how to use Jmol within the context of crystallography.
- By default unit cells are not shown. You can turn this on either with the menu or popup menu, or using the script command 'set unitcell on'. --- Egon Willighagen
What we would like to have in Jmol
The project is lacking manpower and could do with more developers, so development is not going top speed. Nevertheless, it's good to decide on what we would like to see added. So please add you requests here, and discuss what others have suggested.
- Translation of atoms/molecules to have fractional coordinates in [0,1>
- Interpretation of symmetry operations
- Use of transparency for not fully occupied positions
- Ability to display electron density maps
Crystallography Journals using Jmol
The IUCr journals web site is using Jmol to visualize published crystal structures: on a journal table of contents page, click on any "3d view" button.